I personally wouldn’t put anything on my child’s face from the Dollar Store. Regardless though, this is still sad. No child should have to go through this, poor baby!! Wishing Little Lydia a speedy recovery!
It’s been weeks since 3-year-old Lydia Cravens broke out in severe hives and blisters after using a children’s toy makeup kit the family says they bought at a local Family Dollar store.
Lydia was admitted into an Illinois hospital earlier this month after developing painful blisters on her face, which the family says they believe was caused by the makeup kit. Her parents, Tony and Kylie, both 36, tell PEOPLE that a doctor determined that the allergic reaction was a result of the makeup.
“My heart is heavy. This has been horrible,” Kylie, of Georgetown, Illinois, tells PEOPLE. “When she first began reacting, she had severe swelling of the eyes and face. She was very uncomfortable. The only thing we are worried about is Lydia and her getting better right now. Nothing else is important.”
In a statement, Family Dollar spokesperson Randy Guiler tells PEOPLE: “We have not heard from the family directly but are aware of the media reports and are pleased to hear that Lydia is recovering from her allergic reaction.
“In 2016, we purchased a supplier’s product matching the photo in social media. In accordance with our procedures, our supplier’s product had been independently tested for toxic chemicals. Upon being made aware of this incident, we re-confirmed that test results showed that no toxic chemicals were found in these make-up kits. We have received no other complaints or claims of allergic reactions related to this product.”
The couple first spoke out about the incident in a now-viral Facebook post, writing that within just 24 hours of using the makeup, Lydia’s eyes became “swollen and blistered shut.” The parents added that Lydia suffered a rash all over her body and was unable to eat due to blistering and her cracked lips.